Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Hopes, Fears and Opportunities Pt. 2


At the start of the third year I wrote about my hopes, fears and opportunities. As its coming to the end of the my degree I’m going to see what I have and haven’t done or achieved with my work and other feelings.
The first thing I mentioned was that I hope to be proud and to be happy with what I am, and what I am going too, produce in my final year, putting the hours in so that I can say, ‘yes, that’s my work.’ I feel like towards the end and more recently I am starting to be happier with what I do and I know when I leave that I will be satisfied.
I said that I hope to be more confident in the ability to talk about and present my work to others, so I am able to feel a strong sense of achievement. I feel like with practice you do get better and I have had quite a bit, the portfolio visits made me feel better about it because all of the feedback was positive.
Another hope was to keep myself motivated and interested in the subjects I choose or get given for all the briefs. Keeping interested is sometimes hard if you get negative feedback or hit a wall in your process but I think from January onward this hasn’t been a problem for me as all of the work I have produced has come from my own ideas and I let my project have a vague start so I could decide which road to take.
I had hoped that by the end of the degree, that I can approach any given task knowing how to get through it by myself, to produce work that will be accepted. I think that this applies if I were to work for someone else or a company and I do feel that I am qualified in a lot of creative and technical areas but there are still other skills I can gain but am happy to teach myself.
I hoped to have a portfolio that is consistent so a client would know if am able to produce what they are looking for in a job. This is one of the hopes I am still not 100% satisfied with although I am happy with the work in my portfolio I still need to decide on the way I lay it out which is appealing to me but professional enough to be acceptable if I am wanting to apply for certain creative jobs.
I had hoped to know what my favourite method of working is, as I wasn’t sure in the first semester. I think I now know my strengths and what I enjoy, which are both equally as important. I am confident with pattern making, screen printing and any kind of jobs that involving technical ability including thinks from Photoshop skills to hand printing.
Lastly I had hoped to make sure that I make the most of the facilities that the college offers such as the print room. I am defiantly happy with what I have achieved and the time I spent in the print room.

My biggest fear was Failure. This being failing the course, that I can’t really comment on just yet as I don’t know my results! Another fear was to feel overwhelmed with the workload and having multiple things to do and not being able to choose which one to do first or which is more important. This is still a problem for me as sitting here typing now is a lot less appealing to me than producing more designs or making interesting work. I do feel that I manage my time well enough to get things done, which is linked to another fear, which was ‘not having enough time or having bad time management’.
I feared that I would not be happy with the way things turn out in the end, at the moment I am happy within myself with what I have done but by the end I mean the result of my degree, and if I don’t get the grade I am looking for, I will think of it as been a waste of time, this is an ongoing fear until I get a piece of paper with a final mark.
Another fear was that I have always lost confidence in my own work when I start to compare it to others. Not just what their work looks like but the ways that they approach it and make it look effortless. I strongly feel that I have got over comparing myself to others because everyone is now doing what he or she wants to do and what he or she is good at. I am proud enough of my work now to not care. I am also not concerned about comparing myself to others in the way they approach work because I know that I have put my all in and haven’t sat back while everyone else is doing work. I know I have put the hours in and I would get top marks if it was for effort and technical skill put into work, not just talent or the taste of the markers. This relates to another fear I mentioned which said that I wouldn’t fear getting a bad grade if I know I didn’t put the time and effort needed in, but if I know I put my all in and it didn’t show the in the final mark. Hopefully my work does show the energy I put into it.

Opportunities I stated were;
  • Showing work, that I am proud of, to people in the industry.
  •  Chances to collaborate with piers or others on live briefs
  • Being able to have a space to put up my work or to have a stall to sell work.
  •  To be able to work along side people who are interested in the same things I am.
  • I would like to have the opportunity to show clients how I would apply my work to different media that I am interested in.
All of the opportunities are still ongoing and I still would like to be able to achieve this if that is still want I want after my degree is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment