Wednesday, 21 November 2012

'The First Cut'


I took a trip to ‘The First Cut’ paper cutting exhibition at Manchester City Art Gallery. I am a regular there and have been to all the past changing exhibitions that are held, and I have to admit that this is definitely one of my all time favorites! I was able to really appreciate almost every piece in the gallery because for me to take an instant shine to peoples work, I either have to think it is impressive because I know I wouldn’t be able to ever do that myself. The other reason being that of the main thing that stood out to me if that all the works on show had, or looked like, they had taken a really long time to finalize. You could just see that a lot of time and patience were needed, which, to me, always makes a piece of work more attractive and fascinating.

Artists involved included; Chris Kenny, This was one of the pieces that I was immediately drawn to because of the layout. Any work that is made up by using lots of smaller bits to make one bigger thing will always catch my eye.



Another artist being Justine Smith, which work I was also really draw to but not sure why. I think it is because I am interesting in money from different countries. One of her works that I didn’t manage to catch a picture of which I appreciated was a world map, made from all the different currencies which where places down where they are used. However I managed to get a decent one of her piece called 'Inheritance' Made with Chinese 100 Yuan notes.


Below a few other photos from the gallery.



No comments:

Post a Comment